show/hide profile info
Register to take part

BBC denies cover-up over Sir Jimmy Savile sex allegations

  • 0 Replies
  • 909 Views

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

*

the watcher

  • Guest
BBC denies cover-up over Sir Jimmy Savile sex allegations
« on: September 30, 2012, 09:08:30 PM »
BBC denies cover-up over Sir Jimmy Savile sex allegations
The BBC today denied covering up 'inappropriate behaviour' by Sir Jimmy Savile after several women came forward to claim they had been sexually abused by the star.
 
Sir Jimmy Savile was accused of using his role as a BBC presenter to groom girls Photo: PA
11:49AM BST 30 Sep 2012
The BBC has denied that is had covered up 'inappropriate behaviour' by Sir Jimmy Savile after several women came forward to claim they had been sexually abused by the star.

Up to 10 women have spoken to claim they were sexually abused by the late DJ when they were teenagers, including one who says she was raped.

Their stories will be broadcast in an ITV documentary on Wednesday.

Many claimed the abused had been an 'open secret' at the BBC and that the corporation chose to turn a blind eye.

Childline founder Esther Rantzen, who was a presenter at the BBC in the 1970s, said people in the television world had 'colluded' with the star and 'blocked their ears to the gossip.'

Related Articles
'Sir Jimmy Savile abused us at the BBC', claim women
30 Sep 2012
Jim just liked being snapped with young 'bits of crumpet', says PA
30 Sep 2012
Saville's nephew 'disgusted' by allegations made after death
30 Sep 2012
Jimmy Savile, the big fixer
30 Oct 2011
Sir Jimmy Savile
29 Oct 2011

But the BBC today said it had conducted a thorough investigation into the allegations and found no evidence to support the claims.

"The BBC has conducted extensive searches of its files to establish whether there is any record of misconduct or allegations of misconduct by Sir Jimmy Savile during his time at the BBC. No such evidence has been found.

"Whilst the BBC condemns any behaviour of the type alleged in the strongest terms, in the absence of evidence of any kind found at the BBC that corroborates the allegations that have been made it is simply not possible for the corporation to take any further action."

The corporation also denied it had shelved a Newsnight investigation into Savile after learning a teenage girl had been abused in a dressing room at Television Centre.

The woman claimed that the presenter molested her when she was 14 or 15 after inviting her to recordings of Clunk Click, his 1970s BBC family show.

Newsnight tracked down several other women who claimed that Savile used his role on the programme to groom and abuse teenage girls.

The BBC had hoped to broadcast the Newsnight report in December, two months after Savile?s death, but it was claimed bosses were ordered that the investigation be dropped.

Instead, the corporation screened two tribute programmes celebrating Savile?s lengthy BBC career as presenter of Jim?ll Fix It and Top of the Pops, and also as a Radio 1 DJ.

Newsnight editor Peter Rippon said:

"It is absolutely untrue that the Newsnight investigation was dropped for anything other than editorial reasons.

"We have been very clear from the start that the piece was not broadcast because the story we were pursuing could not be substantiated.

"To say otherwise is false and very damaging to the BBC and individuals. The notion that internal pressure was applied appears to be a malicious rumour."


 
Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)



COMODO SECURE

Powered by EzPortal
Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 
Comodo SSL