The chief constable of Cleveland Police has been sacked

• 2 Replies

Online the leveller

• Global Moderator
  • +75/-0
The chief constable of Cleveland Police has been sacked
« on: October 05, 2012, 09:53:10 AM »
5 October 2012 Last updated at 09:31 Share this pageEmail Print Share this page

Cleveland Police chief Sean Price sacked after probe Sean Price became chief constable of Cleveland Police in 2003 Continue reading the main story
Related Stories
Police chief hearing to go ahead
Cash for police misconduct probe
Police chief sues three forces

The chief constable of Cleveland Police has been sacked after he was found guilty of gross misconduct, the BBC understands.

Sean Price faced allegations about his role in the recruitment of the former police authority chairman's daughter.

An Independent Police Complaints Commission hearing finished on Thursday.

In a statement, Mr Price said he was "extremely disappointed with the result".

The IPCC hearing into claims he used "undue influence" during the appointment of Dave McLuckie's daughter was held in private.

Corruption probe

At its conclusion Mr Price, who becomes the first chief constable to be sacked in 35 years, said: "I believe the disciplinary proceedings have sadly come to an incorrect conclusion.

"When the judgment was delivered and I was offered the chance to put forward mitigation I declined - the panel was mistaken in their finding and I could not seek to argue for a lesser punishment for something I haven't done.

"I will therefore be discussing with my lawyers over the next few days how this can be addressed."

Mr Price, who was appointed to lead the force in 2003, remains on bail as part of Operation Sacristy, a corruption probe relating to individuals with past and present associations to Cleveland Police Authority.

'?100,000 per month'

James Wharton, the Conservative MP for Stockton South, said the outcome of the misconduct hearing was a "small piece" of the puzzle.

He said: "The sooner Cleveland Police can move forward and put this behind them the better, but that will be difficult with the criminal investigation on-going.

"Whilst I understand it is unlikely Mr Price will face any criminal prosecution Sacristy is about far more than one man.

"The criminal investigation must be allowed to run its course but with an expected end date well into 2014 and at a cost of over ?100,000 per month the sooner it is concluded the better."

Mr Price has been suspended since his arrest and Cleveland Police Authority recently announced his contract would not be renewed when it expires in March 2013.

Mr Price and Mr Bonnard were arrested in 2011
He was arrested alongside deputy chief constable Derek Bonnard.

Mr Bonnard has now been released from bail but remains suspended from duty.

Both officers have denied any wrongdoing and have made legal claims for wrongful arrest.

After the misconduct hearing Mr Price said the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) had investigated the same allegations relating to Mr McLuckie's daughter's recruitment and had found there was no case to answer.

He said: "Whilst the burden of proof at misconduct hearings is of a lower standard I am still perplexed as to why a misconduct panel could have found against me in the light of the evidence presented and the obvious hurdles that were placed in the way of me being able to lay the full facts of this case before the panel."

Mr McLuckie was also arrested as part of the investigation and is on bail until November.

Online the leveller

• Global Moderator
  • +75/-0
Re: The chief constable of Cleveland Police has been sacked
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 09:23:35 PM »

'Shocking' Met suspensions revealed
Press Association ? Sat, Sep 29, 2012.. .

Nearly 50 Metropolitan Police officers were suspended for corruption over a three-year period, it has emerged.

Figures show that 49 officers were suspended over the allegation, with 15 cases proven, 18 unproven and 16 ongoing.

The details, released under the Freedom of Information Act, show that a total of 258 were officers suspended between 2009-11 for offences including sexual assault, harassment and neglect or failure in duty.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It makes one wonder what sort of process is involved in the recruitment of police officers,obviously not rigorous enough !
The Leveller

Of these, 88 of the claims turned out to be proven or substantiated and 33 officers were dismissed from the force. Nearly half of those suspended were special constables, who are unpaid.

According to police regulations, officers can only be suspended under two circumstances - if they are likely to interfere with the course of an investigation or if it is in the public interest. As such, most suspensions occur when an officer is subject to a serious criminal investigation or a serious internal misconduct investigation.

Shamik Dutta, a lawyer who handles complaints against police officers, described the figures as "shocking".

She told the BBC: "In my experience when members of the public complain about police officers it is very rare for those officers to be suspended.

"However, even if they are, investigations can take far too long leading to victims of police misconduct suffering delayed justice."

A Met Police spokesman said: "Whilst we aim to investigate allegations of misconduct as quickly as possible, the length of an investigation is often determined by the complex nature of some allegations which can be beyond the control of the MPS as we may need to allow the judicial system or IPCC to complete their proceedings before the force can conclude an investigation.

"While our aim is always to carry out this work in the quickest and most efficient way possible, we also have to ensure investigations are thorough and robust for the benefit of the complainant, the general public, the force as a whole and the officer under investigation."

email

Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

COMODO SECURE