show/hide profile info
Register to take part

London police: we believe claims of ‘VIP’ child sex abuse and murder

• 0 Replies

Offline the leveller

• Global Moderator
  • +75/-0
London police: we believe claims of ‘VIP’ child sex abuse and murder

Scotland Yard says victim’s allegations against prominent political and establishment figures

are credible and true by Vikram Dodd

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/dec/18/london-police-vip-child-sex-abuse-murder

http://l8in.wordpress.com/2014/08/03/open-letter-to-margaret-hodge-mp-from-dr-liz-davies/

Open letter to Margaret Hodge MP from Dr Liz Davies.

Posted on August 3, 2014 by l8in
Open letter to Margaret Hodge MP from Dr Liz Davies
Dear Margaret Hodge,
You rightly say that, whistleblowing is ‘crucial’ and has to matter ‘right to the top of an organisation’. Your perspective has certainly changed since the time when, as leader of Islington Council, you so seriously hindered my investigation of crimes against children. As the main ‘whistle-blower’ I have been struggling since the 90s to put the record straight about the murders, sexual exploitation, neglect and physical torture of children both within the care of Islington social services and in the local community. I have also tried to expose the connections between Islington networks and those in other parts of the country.
We have all learnt a lot in the last 20 years and I am continually discovering more about what actually happened during those years when, as a social worker, I was working to protect vulnerable Islington children. It would seem now, in the context of your statements on whistleblowing and your support of the National Inquiry into Organised Abuse of Children, that it is certainly appropriate to move forward in order to increase all our understanding about what led to the cover up of organised child abuse in the Borough.
A few years ago, as more information came to light, you apologised for your mistakes and provided the explanation for your actions that you were misled by senior officers. However, I now question why you did not give evidence to this effect to the final Islington Inquiry in 1995. Also, you have not said if you referred these managers to the police and to the appropriate regulatory body in order to prevent them working with children. So many of them, whose names I remember clearly, have progressed in their social work careers without ever having been accountable for their actions or inactions.
Most puzzling is my discovery of how much was previously known about child abuse in Islington since the early 80s and I, of course, realise that you were council leader from 1982. Am I to believe that you really did not know that there had been a long established pattern of sexual exploitation and even the alleged murders of children within Islington’s care? These events were well covered in the local and national media and, in this context, I cannot understand why my disclosures just a few years later were met with such disbelief. Geoffrey Dickens MP, for instance, exposed the sexual exploitation of Islington children. This was just four years before I raised similar concerns about children’s safety in the neighbourhood of Islington where I worked and for which you were the local councillor. This area was just a few streets away from the location that he was including in one of his now famous dossiers. I have to question why I was not informed at the time about these very serious cases. All this prior intelligence would have validated some of my enquiries and greatly assisted my investigations. If I had received support and understanding from you, I would have been far better able to protect the children who were so severely harmed. Instead, every obstacle was put in my way. My only professionally ethical option at the time was to work covertly with police. When our work achieved a major conviction I thought I would be believed but instead I was further silenced by managers. I now question if you were informed about this conviction and the circumstances in which young people were disclosing? I wonder if you were also informed about all the professionals working alongside me in the investigations and how many were told by their agency representatives on the Area Child Protection Committee that there was no evidence.
What exactly did influence your decision-making at the time? What led you to take a stand, for instance, in publicly blaming a brave whistleblowing residential worker? After raising the alarm about child sex abusers accessing children as young as 9 years old in a children’s home, he was dismissed and prevented from working with children for many years. What led you to dismiss my substantial report about a local network of sexual exploitation? Your support from ‘the top’ of the organisation might have been able to reverse the path of history and protect so many children. I am now being contacted by survivors who feel more able to come forward in the current climate. It is deeply worrying that so many of their files are missing. When I attended the Inquiries not a single one of my records was to be found. What is your understanding now of such negligence?
There are so many questions I would like to ask you. Did you know that after presenting 4 hours of evidence to one Islington Inquiry none of my information was included in the report? Did you know that one of the people who was the subject of one of the 14 Islington Inquiry reports returned to Children’s services in recent years and had not been barred from work with children? I do not know the 32 names listed by Ian White, in the Appendix to his final report, of professionals deemed unsuitable to work with children. I do know two social workers who should never have been named on the list as they were whistle-blowers. In the light of your recent comment that some whistle-blowers are treated badly I would expect that you would agree that the list of 32 needs to be urgently reviewed.
The White Report in 1995 (Report of the Inquiry into the Management of Child Care in the London Borough of Islington) made reference to 61 children I had identified as possible victims of an organised abuse network. It went on to conclude that, ‘while some individual children were at risk of abuse, the Police found no evidence of connections between these such as would support the assertion that there was organised abuse’ (p. 42). I would like to know in the light of current knowledge, and with hindsight, what your opinion is of this finding.
You say that there should be sanctions for those who victimise whistle-blowers. The Islington Inquiries were not a legal process and no-one was required to give evidence. Do you think, therefore, that it is too late to call to account those who obstructed my investigations and those who misled you? Other authorities are now interviewing former whistle-blowers and considering what action can be taken to right the wrongs of the past. I have not been asked by Islington authorities to assist in identifying perpetrators or to help survivors in understanding what happened to them.
As one example, I recently learnt from the media about the unnamed Islington children’s home supposedly related to Savile – no-one has asked me if I know which home it might be. I remain a registered social worker and am therefore appropriately qualified to professionally assist with child protection investigations and I would readily contribute my knowledge about networks of abuse in the area.
I am pleased that you are now supporting whistle-blowers. I am one of them and I now ask for your full support in helping to unravel what really did happen in Islington about which you must surely know so much. It is a story which includes your story which has never been told. Many politicians are now bravely coming forward to speak out about organised child abuse – it is surely your time to contribute your account of what really happened.
Yours sincerely
Dr Liz Davies
Reader in Child Protection
London Metropolitan University
[email protected]
3rd August 2014
#FreeMelanieShaw
#Help4thevictims
#amnesty4whistleblowers

Related

The disgrace of Mrs Hodge (16.06.03)In "Friends."

Margaret Hodge attempts to talk her way out of Islington paedophile scandal-In "Friends."

The Great NHS Sell Off.In "Friends."

Whistle blower, Brian Pead’s, persecution by authorities:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hfis3ry12sfo458/12-from-hillsborough-to-lambeth%20%282%29.pdf?dl=0

http://www.ukcolumn.org/sites/default/files/forums/Capture%201_214.PNG

http://www.ukcolumn.org/forum/anything-goes/ben-fellows-has-just-been-arrested

https://cathyfox.wordpress.com/2014/12/04/peter-hofschroers-unlawful-arrest-2/

“What is extremely disturbing about this case is that it is part of a pattern of behaviour over the country, of locking up whistle-blowers on child abuse on trumped up charges.

There are:

Peter Hofschroer in Yorkshire , abdction of mother case tangled with Jimmy Savile Child abuse cover up

Brian Freeman whistle-blower about Lambeth child abuse [7]

Melanie Shaw whistle-blower about child abuse in Nottingham [28],

Chris Spivey blogger on child abuse and false flag whistle-blower- Kent? Police and Social services [20],

Robert Green child abuse whistle-blower arrested by Police Scotland [18],

Maurice Kirk whistle-blower on South Wales Police [19]

Michael Doherty who blew the whistle on the sexual grooming of his daughter by a policeman [21] , and has entered a roller coaster of false charges and action against him by Met Police and justice system. [some of the above links are not the optimal links and may require some researching around, if any of the above or friends could please send in the optimal links for their case]

The background story of Peter’s mother and his campaign to get her back is available on Grandma Barbara's blog [1]. Videos of interviews with Peter by Sonia Poulton are available [8]  from 13 mins [9]. The case of Grandma B has been raised in Parliament by Lord Maginnis and debated hotly in the House of Commons. The corruption is alleged to also involve the Council and Social Workers.”

Recurrent themes of abuse of mental health legislation used against whistle-blowers.

https://goodcopdown.wordpress.com/#comments

“All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
suicide image
“This is a factual account of police corruption and malpractice written by a former long serving and highly commended detective.
In addition to the foremost public interest element of this blog, advice and support will be available for officers who may be going through a similar situation or contemplating blowing the whistle so that an informed decision can be made.
This account will highlight the reality of being a whistle-blower in the police service and the extent to which police forces will go to in order to both silence and victimise officers who have decided to do the ‘right thing’ in order to carry out their sworn duty and protect the public.
All information provided is backed up by documentary and witness evidence, the majority of which has been in the public domain but not generally publicised.
Whilst there have always been whistle-blowers in large organisations and recently much publicity concerning the NHS in this regard, there is generally little information concerning what happens in police forces and why there is a reluctance for police officers to step forward and do the ‘right thing’.
The vast majority of police officers will never have an understanding of some of the darker sides of the police service and to some extent that it is a good thing as the police service needs to recruit and retain good officers.
It is considered that the public interest will be best served by indentifying individuals whose conduct towards both members of the public and police colleagues is at the top end of the breaches of the standards of professional behaviour required of police officers including criminal conduct.
It should not be forgotten that when whistle-blowers are victimised the impact on that individuals family and friends is considerable. This account will also highlight the victimisation of a whistle-blower’s wife to apply pressure on the officer in an attempt to silence him and prevent him pursuing his allegations of corruption.
When this failed, the police resorted to methods which could be considered as courses of conduct designed to push the officer to take his own life.
In a written statement to an employment tribunal; a Detective Chief Inspector stated “Without fear of favour, I assure the Tribunal this officer, and others who have suffered at the hands of Hampshire Constabulary, some directly linked to Mr Panayiotou has been treated so unfairly, I am amazed he is still alive. This may sound dramatic, I know, but I hope to assist by showing a pattern of continuous bullying, intimidation and threats by senior officers of the force.”
In this case, there are also many other good officers of varying ranks who attempted to do the ‘right thing’ and were heavily victimised.
Examples of the extreme abuse of power by senior police officers will be highlighted as will the subsequent failures by the IPCC and aspects of the judicial system.
These factors together with the lack of protection of police whistle-blowers ultimately serves as a deterrent to police officers and prevents them from coming forward to report wrongdoing. In short, there is nowhere for officers to turn without risking their livelihoods.
What is not generally known by the public is that police forces and the IPCC encourage corruption by their interpretation of the Police Reform Act 2002 which refers to a complaint only being able to be made by a “member of the public” and not a police officer.
The IPCC and police forces use this as an excuse in failures to investigate corrupt police officers citing that a police officer is not a member of the public and as such unable to make a complaint and as such is also deprived of avenues of appeal.
The interpretation of who is a member of the public is something that could be judicially reviewed at some stage, if anyone has any additional information in this regard please let us know as our view is that a police officer has to be a citizen first to join the police and as such must also be a member of the public.
Ironically, although the IPCC is a designated authority for police officers being able to report wrongdoing, an officer has no right of appeal if no action is taken concerning their disclosure.
An officer is placed in a difficult position where if he or she does  not agree to the disclosure being forwarded back to the police force in question and sometimes the very same department or person complained of, no action is taken.
In practice, once permission has been given the IPCC will often forward the the allegations of corruption/wrongdoing back to the police force which inevitably is dealt with by the *Professional Standards Department “PSD” who are often themselves subject of the complaints.
*Detective Chief Superintendent Dominic Scally, Professional Standards Department  http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/gmp-corruption-probe-watchdog-expected-8241109
Whilst there are many initiatives and public encouragement for whistle-blowers to come forward, the reality is that behind the scenes whistle-blowers are not welcomed, often treated as the enemy and that police officers fitting up and mistreating colleagues is not of particular interest to the general public.
This account is different because the wrongdoing was initially towards members of the public, vulnerable persons and children.
The author having attempted to help and support the public and victims of crime was subsequently targeted at the highest levels when he challenged the corrupt practices of Hampshire Constabulary.
There is currently little evidence that the relatively new Police and Crime Commissioners who frequently use the same staff and structure as the previous police authorities, are prepared to challenge wrongdoing by Chief officers.
This account will also highlight examples of a lack of independence and collusion to protect senior police officers and silence whistle-blowers.
The Police Federation, despite their huge wealth appear reluctant to support police whistle-blowers. They frequently fail to provide legal assistance or indeed challenge the behaviour of senior officers which can include intimidation of their own local police federation representatives.
The result is that police whistle-blowers are left out on a limb either having to represent themselves or being compelled to withdraw their cases due to ill health, the resultant financial burden or a combination of both.
Prior to a decision being made to publish this disturbing account, Hampshire Constabulary has been given ample opportunity to rectify the issues which revolve around corrupt practices, poor service to the public and most worryingly, especially in the current climate, serious allegations involving child protection.
Interestingly, since the publication of this Blog, Simon Hayes the Police and Crime Commissioner for Hampshire on 9 September 2014 gave a message to delegates at the annual Local Safeguarding Children Boards conference on the Isle of Wight.
Mr Hayes said: “Protecting children and the most vulnerable members of our society goes to the heart of policing responsibilities.  Because of this I’ve requested the Chief Constable to undertake an in-depth review into the historic situation across Hampshire and the Isle of Wight from 1997 to 2013.  This will involve Children’s Social Services Departments from the four top tier Councils in the Constabulary area: Hampshire, Southampton, Portsmouth and the Isle of Wight.
Whether this move was as a result of  this Blog or similar concerns being raised in the press Nationally, this is a welcome move and will continue to seek Mr Hayes to put into practice his public statements by initiating a criminal investigation against Senior officers who acquiesced in corruption concerning a Paedophilia investigation on the Isle of Wight.
Many years ago following the death of Stephen Lawrence and the McPherson report, the term ‘institutional racism’ was applied specifically to the Metropolitan Police and by implication to other British police forces.
This account will go a step further in that it highlights ‘institutional corruption’ striking at the heart of police Professional Standards Departments (PSD’s)who are responsible for investigating allegations against police officers and police staff.
Hampshire Constabulary in common with some other forces will be seen to have not learned from past mistakes; including dealing with Hate crime and domestic abuse.
Over the years many PSD’s have become unaccountable acting unethically and often illegally, believing their behaviour is an acceptable form of ‘noble cause corruption’.
PSD’s and the Met’s Department of Professional Standards “DPS” must be beyond reproach in their dealings with colleagues and the public when investigating alleged misconduct.
In some cases it has been their own conduct that is believed to be a contributing factor to police suicide and ultimately, this blog is being published in the public interest and to raise awareness in order to reduce police suicide and assist in preventing police corruption.
Updates can also be followed on twitter @GoodCopDown

8 responses to “All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
1.http://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/1328442555/Caute_normal

Caute (@Caute3) July 4, 2014 at 10:20 pm
I think what needs to be made very clear is that the iPCC always refers complaints to the local police’s Professional Standards Department. In a complaint I made against Sussex Police, an iPCC investigator actually told me that the complaint was a matter for the iPCC to investigate and should have been referred back to them but Sussex Police failed to do so; in a recent complaint I made against the Head of Sussex Police’s Professional Standards Department, Supt Lisa Bell, the person who immediately dealt with and dismissed that complaint was one of her junior staff; I appealed, and the Appeal – into whether the complaint will be investigated, will be decided upon by… yup! you’ve guessed it, Supt Lisa Bell. As for ‘good coppers’ in the course of the last 7 months when I’ve had the misfortune to come up against the police force due to my mother having been killed on a road in Sussex and the police not carrying out a proper investigation (listen to http://chirb.it/N2wtCs for more) I became, as a bereaved next of kin, subject to covert dossiers, secret meetings and a fraudulent mental health report submitted by Sussex Police to the Metropolitan Police, requesting that I be placed on the Met’s Merlin database (the one kept exclusively for adults at risk of which I am not one); the level of maliciousness has been intense – and I even discovered a member of the College of Policing was in on it. During this time I met two decent coppers, one from the Metropolitan Police – who has totally supported me throughout but would never dare speak up against his colleagues – another a member of ACPO who tried, early on, to resolve matters but Sussex Police were more interesting in assailing me. The Met Officer told me that internal politics has become so bad he is taking early retirement for his own conscience, so he doesn’t have to go along with their corruption. How can the police get away with it? Because the iPCC is an ineffectual body that has to rely on individual police forces to play fair – whilst PCCs are just doll-like figure heads with brains to match. As for Policing Guidelines – all those procedures written by ACPO which offer ‘good practice’ – local forces are permitted – by law – to simply ignore them, as they did in my mother’s case. Justice? I no longer believe there is such a thing.

2.https://2.gravatar.com/avatar/54a8e8a2f68332562555830bfd2d3713?s=216&d=identicon&r=G

julian180748 July 5, 2014 at 10:38 am
Thank you for your comments. Yes, you are right that the IPCC seems to refer matters back for local investigation when the facts suggest that this should perhaps not happen.
The IPCC do have the following options:
When the IPCC determines a matter should be investigated, having taken into account the seriousness of the case and the public interest, the IPCC must determine the mode of investigation.
The mode of investigation may be:
• local investigation;
• supervised investigation;
• managed investigation; or
• independent investigation.
The IPCC can, at any time, re-determine the mode of investigation. Paragraph 15, Schedule 3, Police Reform Act 2002
In practice, the new Statutory Guidance has removed an avenue of appeal back to the IPCC when a decision has been made that the ‘Appropriate Authority’ is the Chief Constable.
The letters I have seen from the IPCC recently where members of the public have complained directly to the IPCC usually state that there are “no exceptional circumstances” and as such the matter is referred back to the police force to deal with as a local investigation.
In a one case I am investigating as part of my day job, this has happened despite allegations being made of misconduct in public office, a relevant custody video allegedly having been deleted and the complaint also concerning the head of the Professional standards Department.
It seems that that an ordinary member of the public is treated differently from a case which may appear high profile and news worthy where the IPCC decide to become involved to increase the public profile of the IPCC.

•https://2.gravatar.com/avatar/88135fb299571f071504888afb7e2073?s=216&d=identicon&r=G

Grandma B July 7, 2014 at 1:01 pm
IPCC? Waste of space and utterly corrupt. Do see:
http://www.upsd.co.uk/ipcc-rogues/
http://grandmabarbara.wordpress.com/2-crimes-committed-by-north-yorkshire-police/ipcc-corruption/

•https://1.gravatar.com/avatar/a766609ef7ce547600a8d252a18f1c7d?s=216&d=identicon&r=G

They knocked my down but I got up again July 10, 2014 at 12:34 pm
Complaining against a senior officer in PSD is like signing your own death warrant, as I found out. I made a minor complaint about PSD Deputy Commander in HantsPol. She then decided to investigate me and told me she would continue until she found a way to get rid of me. I have heard of other similar cases. It seems that PSD have a blank card to do what the heck they like.

•https://2.gravatar.com/avatar/88135fb299571f071504888afb7e2073?s=216&d=identicon&r=G

Grandma B July 10, 2014 at 2:00 pm
Do read this to see how North Yorkshire Police PSD carry on:
http://grandmabarbara.wordpress.com/2-crimes-committed-by-north-yorkshire-police/the-worst-case-of-police-corruption-in-british-history/
3.https://1.gravatar.com/avatar/adc3c6a4602c862daa187cdb0162c3ad?s=216&d=identicon&r=G

Frank July 7, 2014 at 1:16 pm
Thames Valley and Devon and Cornwall appear to be prevented from investigating
Google “Len Lawrence Official Solicitor”

4.https://1.gravatar.com/avatar/ab02e19c265989f5504dba63f4ad258c?s=216&d=identicon&r=G

asblewishame July 12, 2014 at 6:39 pm
Metropolitan Police Service DPS – PS Gibbs – refused to meet with me to see my evidence re my complaint Lewisham police had refused to deal with 60+ incidents of ASB/harassment, had colluded with Lewisham Council to lie about evidence, and had maliciously arrested/prosecuted me.
This was against IPCC Statutory Guidelines but IPCC refused to uphold my Appeal, their letter contained entirely false information about me and the situation re CCTV evidence and neighbours also reporting incidents.
I then found out Lewisham Police had maliciously referred me to MH services claiming I was “mentally ill” and “suffering delusions” incidents were happening, I made a complaint but, despite knowing I wanted to present my evidence, the investigator – this time Inspector Brighouse of Lewisham Police – made no contact with me at all before completing his ‘investigation’.
This was against IPCC Statutory Guidelines but IPCC refused to uphold my Appeal, their letter contradicted what Inspector Brighouse had claimed in his Outcome letter.
The situation continued so I was forced to make a third complaint, this time my complaint was upheld in part – the service I had received did not meet the minimum standards required – but the investigator – AI Chalmers of Lewisham Police – failed to identify any wrongdoing by officers even though I had proven eg false information had been entered onto police computer.
The IPCC are currently considering my Appeal re this complaint.
The experience of the Metropolitan Police Service complaints system has, totally unnecessarily, immensely added to my distress and frustration, it seems the only way to get a complaint properly investigated is to die of stress-induced heart attack or stroke, get kicked to death or commit suicide. It really should NOT be this way.
http://asblewishame.wordpress.com/2014/04/19/dps-twisting-the-truth/
https://twitter.com/ASBLewiSHAME

5.https://1.gravatar.com/avatar/d7ab154a467adf58787bd8e6a22b490a?s=216&d=identicon&r=G

Aubry hendy December 18, 2014 at 6:55 pm
Hi. I have been off sick with depression and PTSD after being bullied by my Sergeant for over 15 months.
I have served Almost 18 years and normally very resilient.
It has wrecked my career, marriage and a massive decline in my mental health.
I am not a sick note, however the job is gunning for me and I don’t know why, other than identifying a bully.”

https://goodcopdown.wordpress.com/category/whistleblowing/paedophilia-and-sex-offences-in-hampshire-police/

“Sex offences and Paedophilia in Hampshire Police

December 11, 2014 — 1 Comment
Whilst we must not prejudge the following press release concerning 6 persons being arrested and 3 of those being serving police officers on the Isle of Wight, I think it is important to highlight my own knowledge of such matters when as a serving officer I raised concerns including corruption concerning a paedophilia investigation and a CID officer taking advantage of a vulnerable victim of domestic abuse.
http://www.basingstokegazette.co.uk/news/crime/11661903.Three_serving_Hampshire_police_officers_arrested_over_sex_offence_allegations/
My own experience of being a police whistle-blower in Hampshire and also specifically on the Isle of Wight, is that the following comments made by the Superintendent on the Isle of Wight and the Deputy Police and Crime Commissioner are simply words to try and reassure the public.
Hampshire Constabulary’s Isle of Wight district commander, superintendent Julie Fry, said: “A key part of maintaining public trust and confidence is fulfilling our responsibility to investigate fully any allegation, irrespective of those involved.
“Specialist officers are providing care and support to the victim.”
The investigation is on-going.
Robin Jarman, deputy police and crime commissioner for Hampshire said the allegations made against the police officers from Hampshire Constabulary are “extremely alarming”.
He added: “The police and crime commissioner will look to the constabulary to ensure that these accusations are taken very seriously and that a full and thorough investigation is conducted.

“Residents of Hampshire and Isle of Wight should be reassured that allegations of this nature are extremely rare and do not reflect the high standards delivered by the vast majority of constabulary employees.”
To this day, my own disclosures concerning corruption in a paedophilia case concerning police officers have not resulted in any formal investigation.
There was an attempt by the Professional Standards Department ‘PSD’ at covering up the matter and I was heavily victimised by that department for raising the matter which related to one of their own officers.
I was the officer in charge of investigating the Paedophilia case and in a nutshell, there were 2 suspects, I had arrested one of them and I was prevented arresting the second who was a well known figure on the IOW.
A Detective Inspector had also returned a computer to the second suspect the same day I had seized it and the computer was shared by the other suspect; both resided at the same premises.
There were other concerns including the second suspect being tipped off before I arrived at his premises to search his address.
Despite the attempts to scupper the case, I was able to charge the first suspect with several child abductions and having under age sex which resulted in a child being born.
I need not go into further detail at this stage but it appears that the case papers went missing and the case was dropped against the first suspect who had  a history and the details for a previous Crown Court case on the Isle of Wight disappeared along with intelligence I had recorded in this case on police systems.
The police give an operation name to everything and my allegations regarding this matter are recorded under ‘Operation Bondfield’.
The file was required at an employment tribunal and the disclosure officer was apparently unable to locate it. It was not until after the employment tribunal and a complaint being made that the file appeared and I understand is now being held within the Professional Standards Department; much too late to be of any use in the employment tribunal case.
I was also surprised how easily children’s case files would go missing. An e mail would usually be sent around the force to see if anyone had seen the case papers and usually only when a claim was being made to the CICA..
Before finishing this particular post, I would like to highlight an article published by the BBC and my own comments in this regard.
Becky’s Story – presented by Fiona Bruce BBC1 10-35pm Tuesday 29 August 2006
(Cut and Pasted BBC News & Current Affairs article)
A 14-year-old girl placed in a council children’s home was prostituted to a group of depraved middle-aged men because staff were powerless to stop her going out.
The horrific story of ‘Becky’ is highlighted in a BBC programme presented by Fiona Bruce this week which reveals how she was sexually abused by 25 men over two years – despite being known to social services and having been placed on the Child Protection Register.
Even when she was put in a children’s home – six months after her earliest allegations of abuse -staff allowed her to be used as a prostitute for fear their intervention might infringe her human rights.
The investigation has been drawn from her case notes. The local authority cannot be named in case it identifies the child, now 16, and living with a foster family.
Initially, Becky went to the police claiming she had been sexually abused by her stepfather – but they said there was not enough evidence to prosecute.
She then sought solace at the home of one of her mother’s friends.
But even when police and social services became aware the woman’s boyfriend was a registered sex offender, with a predilection for underage girls, they did nothing to remove Becky.
Only after she complained she had been raped by the man and then turned to drink and drugs and began to self harm – slashing her wrists – did social services move her to a children’s home.
There, however, Becky was allowed to run riot – even being picked up from outside by a man 22 years her senior who forced her to have sex with him and his friends.
Becky absconded from the home 36 times and confided in a staff member what was happening to her – yet at no time was any recommendation made to place her in a secure unit, or restrain her from going out on the streets.
One staff member at the children’s home was concerned, but the case notes reveal she was told by colleagues she was powerless to restrain the teenager. The staff worker, who has since resigned, took the notes to the BBC.
Andrew Webb, director of the Association of Social Services, when confronted with the findings of the investigation, defended the actions of Becky’s carers.
He said: ‘We are bound by regulation not to curtail young people’s liberty – they have rights. Human rights. The issue isn’t one of the care home – it’s an issue of the men who are prepared to have sex with children and pay money to have sex with children.
‘The law takes the balance of civil liberties and human rights and says there has to be a really strong case… (to restrain a child).
‘The law prevents an ordinary community children’s home from locking the doors and preventing children leaving…if you wanted to…prevent a young person from being sexually exploited in conditions that you’re describing then you’d have to apply for a secure accommodation order.’
But Liz Davies, senior lecturer in Social Work at London Metropolitan University, who has been involved in many investigations of child abuse, says Becky was let down by a crumbling social services system.
She said: ‘Becky told a wide range of professionals over many months that she was suffering sexual and physical harm from abusers in her family as well as by strangers and known child sex abusers.
‘At every stage it appears the authorities were letting Becky take responsibility for her problems, rather than trying to help her defeat them.
‘She was expected to pull herself away from the most terrifying number of serious sexual predators – a network of abusers from the way she spoke.
‘That’s pretty scary for a 14-yearold child and is symptomatic of a system which is being run down by Government policies.
‘It is becoming a disaster. There are too many performance targets which say every child should be monitored by the local authority rather than focusing on those most likely to be abused or who are being abused.
‘Removing the Child Protection Register – which will happen by 2008 – effectively cuts spending but at what cost?
‘The focus is being taken away from detecting paedophiles and child abusers outside the family.
‘There were viable and valuable systems in place which involved all the agencies liaising to investigate whether abuse was taking place –and then dealing with it.
‘But these appear to be being ignored, or not being put into place – the consequences are that more children like Becky will slip through the net.’
Becky’s shocking story is symptomatic of widespread sexual exploitation of troubled young runaways, according to children’s charity Barnardo’s – which says up to 100 ‘Beckys’ are fleeing to the streets of Britain every week.
A spokesman said: ‘Every year we are helping 2,000 young people who are being exploited in this way across the UK.
‘And that is only in small pockets where we have enough money to help. So you can imagine the numbers of young people at risk who are not getting the help they need.’
The above article is as a result of a whistleblower from the Social Services approaching the BBC and the perspective is from a social worker.
The police have an equal responsibility and also failed ‘Becky’. I am aware of the identity of the child who regularly visited the police station where I served in the CID.
The child was regularly either sitting outside the station or in the foyer for protection.
She was not taken seriously despite numerous warning signs. Her photograph was also on the wall alongside local young criminals indicating that she made false allegations.
The reality was that she was not treated sympathetically and would clam up and on occasions refuse to be examined because she did not think officers believed her and would not provide her protection.
Uniform officers would regularly take her back to a children’s home when she would go missing.
It was rumoured that officers would also have sex with the juvenile. I was aware of an official allegation of an officer having sex with ‘Becky’ and the matter not being investigated properly.
I became involved in this case because I was also investigating a case involving a vulnerable adult with learning difficulties who was married to a paedophile. ‘Becky’ was the other female who slept with the paedophile in the same house in an unusual relationship which usually ended in violence.
I was involved with the social services in re-housing the vulnerable adult and also protecting her from another paedophile that had been taking nude photographs and having sex with her.
In a nutshell, my concern here is that an allegation of rape towards a juvenile by a police officer was not investigated properly. The investigating officer had sought to write the crime off immediately because initial enquiries showed that the officer was not shown on duty that day when dates can often be got wrong by vulnerable persons.
I am also concerned at the mindset adopted by officers as a result of the child’s photograph being placed on a board amongst local criminals.
Conclusion
The OPCC and Hampshire Police work hand in glove. The PCC has so far failed to record complaints against Chief Constables who have failed in their duty to ensure serious allegations have been investigated.
The Deputy PCC is a former officer who had knowledge of my case and the DI who instructed the returned the computer to suspects in the Paedophilia case is now the chair of the police and crime panel.
I hope that whoever investigates the recent allegations concerning the 3 arrested police officers will conduct a fair and thorough investigation however; from experience have found that reputation comes first in Hampshire Constabulary and it will do whatever is necessary to protect the reputation of the force rather than seek the truth.”

« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 11:07:07 PM by the leveller »

Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

COMODO SECURE