The EU is a profoundly anti-democratic institution.”

• 0 Replies

Offline the leveller

• Global Moderator
  • +75/-0
The EU is a profoundly anti-democratic institution.”
« on: May 23, 2016, 10:14:50 AM »

Opinion

David Cameron's disgraceful dishonesty over the EU is turning Britain into a banana republic

SIMON HEFFER

21 MAY 2016 • 3:00PM

Britain's Prime Minister David Cameron walks across the pedestrian crossing outside Abbey Road studios with former minister Tessa Jowell (R) in London, Britain, May 20, 2016.   CREDIT: REUTERS FEED

One of the Tory party’s more distinguished parliamentarians told me last week, in deadly seriousness rather than satire, that he thought we lived in a banana republic. He believed there was some truth in a story, going around Westminster, that the Prime Minister would create 25 peerages for those “supportive” in the referendum campaign. Certainly some of the recent ennoblements have seemed like barrel scrapings, pitching into the Upper House for reasons of tokenism people who, a generation ago, would have been lucky to get a job cleaning the place.

“People say they want “facts” before deciding how to vote next month, so here’s one to mull over. The EU is a profoundly anti-democratic institution.”

Doling out peerages to nonentities because they agree with you is bad enough. But what about the perception that Mr Cameron is doing favours to captains of industry in return for vocally supporting his cry to remain in the EU – even by urging shareholders to vote “remain” in company annual reports? And what are we to make of the outrageous imposition of employers telling employees how to vote on June 23? Gladstone had the secret ballot introduced in 1872 precisely to allow working men enfranchised after the 1867 Reform Act to vote without being bullied into supporting a certain side by their employers: a fat lot of good that did.

People say they want “facts” before deciding how to vote next month, so here’s one to mull over. The EU is a profoundly anti-democratic institution. The European Commission, whom no-one elects, initiates policy in the EU. The European parliament, or indeed you or I, can ask it to do certain things: it can tell the parliament, or you and me, to get lost, and that’s that. Charles I tried something similar, and it started a civil war.

David Cameron awkwardly 'recreates' Beatles' famous album cover on trip to Abbey RoadPlay!00:27

Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk