• 1 Replies

Offline the leveller

• Global Moderator
  • +75/-0
CBeebies features Jimmy Saville puppet
« on: January 20, 2013, 05:33:57 PM »
By Ben Rankin
4 Comments

"We are very sorry": BBC issues apology after screening The Tweenies featuring character dressed as paedophile Jimmy Savile
 20 Jan 2013 12:40

The episode of The Tweenies saw popular puppet 'Max' in a Savile fancy dress outfit pretending to DJ on Top of the Pops.

He was wearing a blonde wig, Savile's trademark tracksuit and used his catchphrase: "Now then, guys and gals."

The episode, which was filmed in 2001, was shown on the BBC at breakfast time today.

Twitter users were quick to condemn the gaffe, which comes just days after the release of a shocking report into Savile's sex crimes.

One user, @MrDavidEBrown, tweeted: "#Tweenies is on #CBeebies. Max is doing a Jimmy Savile impression complete with wig. Maybe this episode shouldn't have been reshown."

Another, @socialtwattetm said: "Errr #Cbeebies showing Tweenie Max dressed as Jimmy #Savile and introducing a song called One Finger, One Thumb. Rather inappropriate yes?"

A third, @FiserableMucker, tweeted: "They're doing a TOTP style show and he's all Savile'd up. Someone has dropped the ball at Cbeebies."

A fourth, @SeanMurricane, wrote: "Um, anyone else concerned about one of the Tweenies on #cbeebies doing a #savile impression?!"

Another, @mrkennysenior, tweeted: "Are BBC trying to self destruct? Max from Tweenies dressed as Jimmy Savile just now nearly chokes on my cornflakes."

The BBC later issued an apology, saying: "This morning CBeebies broadcast a repeat of an episode of the Tweenies, originally made in 2001, featuring a character dressed as a DJ impersonating Jimmy Savile. This programme will not be repeated and we are very sorry for any offence caused."

Kenneth D. Cocker

4:53 PM on 20/1/2013

The BBC News' UK webpage as displayed a picture of Savile continuously for the last couple of months. Talk about a lasting memorial, it will soon have been up longer than his gravestone.

Lymbo Spice

3:06 PM on 20/1/2013

Firstly I think it is disgraceful that this Paedophile is still being shoved into the faces of the public after his atrocities came to light. Secondly either people from ages 0-6 are extremely articulate or we have a lot of miserable losers watching children's programs

Louise Thursfield

2:16 PM on 20/1/2013

The posts on here stating you can make easy money via the internet with very little if any cost to yourself are SCAMS YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED THEY ASK FOR $70 per month and that is just for starters please do not be drawn in ********************************THEY ARE SCAMS*****************************

« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 05:54:01 PM by the leveller »

Offline the leveller

• Global Moderator
  • +75/-0

Cops Will Fix It: Jimmy Savile boasted his pals in police would protect him from child abuse claims
 12 Jan 2013 00:00

Savile created an inner circle of police who met weekly at his Leeds penthouse at what was dubbed the Friday Morning Club
Pervert: Savile had pals in the police

Jimmy Savile boasted to detectives he had police contacts who helped him get rid of sex abuse claims.

The pervert made the claims while being quizzed under caution by Surrey Police on suspicion of sexual offences.

A separate report by Detective Superintendent Jon Savell looking into how the force handled three complaints said: ?He explained he has contacts within the police and whenever he receives letters alleging that he has done something wrong he gives them to contacts who ?get rid? of them.?

Savile created an inner circle of police who met weekly at his Leeds penthouse at what was dubbed the Friday Morning Club.

Among members was a retired West Yorkshire Police inspector and another officer who is still serving.

Up to nine serving or former officers and other pals ?chatted and joked?.

Seven alleged victims of Savile complained to police in Surrey, London, Sussex and Jersey while the disgraced television presenter was alive but the Crown Prosecution Service decided no further action should be taken.

The Director of Public Prosecutions yesterday apologised for the failure to bring charges.

Keir Starmer said there were errors by police in Surrey and also by the principal lawyer. He said he wanted the case to be ?a watershed moment?.

He added: ?In my view, these cases do not simply reflect errors of judgment by individual officers or prosecutors on the facts before them.

?These were errors of judgment by experienced and committed police officers and a prosecuting lawyer acting in good faith and attempting to apply the correct principles.

"That makes the findings of the report more profound and calls for a more robust response.?

Detective Supt Savell?s report says: ?Savile made various comments about knowing senior police officers from Leeds and seeing them socially.

"He stated that he gets letters from people trying to blackmail him and he gives these to the police.?

He then named an inspector and said officers came to his home to have tea.

The report says: ?Savile also stated that officers read and destroyed the letters. If one of the letters concerned him then he could have it forensically examined as a ?favour? if he needed.?

When asked if any of these allegations were investigated, Savile said the letters were kept for a ?short time? before being destroyed.

Decorated: Savile with his OBE in 1990 

An unnamed inspector from West Yorkshire Police also contacted Surrey Police to confirm ?that he was known personally to Savile and that Savile gets many of these complaints?.

One of the interviewing officers spoken with for the report said as far as he could remember he did not advise his superiors of Savile?s disclosures. It is unknown why not.

Savile was close to former Prime Ministers Edward Heath and Margaret Thatcher and the Prince of Wales. It is not suggested that any of these people were aware of Savile?s crimes.

No officers from either Surrey or West Yorkshire have been disciplined.

However Her Majesty?s Inspectorate of Constabulary is compiling a report and is expected to probe the claims.

Savile was questioned under caution after Surrey Police received an allegation in 2007 that Savile had sexually assaulted a teenage girl at Duncroft Approved School for Girls in the late 1970s.

Claims that the pervert had sexually assaulted a girl aged about 14 outside Stoke Mandeville Hospital around 1973 and suggested a girl aged about 17, again at Duncroft, perform a sex act on him in the 1970s also surfaced.

Prosecutors decided in 2009 that no case could be brought because the alleged victims would not support action. However, in a third report for the CPS, Alison Levitt QC found Surrey Police did not tell them other complaints had been made.

One victim said last night: ?I want this to be investigated as I feel there must have been a cover-up.

?I find it extraordinary that he was telling police that another force was aware of more allegations against him and it wasn?t followed up.

"I can?t imagine nobody knew what he was doing.

She added: ?It?s one thing to strip him of his knighthood but it?s still not good enough when he could have been brought to justice when alive.?

Last night a spokeswoman for West Yorkshire Police said there was no evidence of wrongdoing and that the allegations were not being probed.

She said: ?Police officers came into contact with Savile as part of their normal duties.? She added the officer who contacted Surrey police merely passed on Savile?s contact details.

Surrey Police Assistant Chief Constable Jerry Kirkby said: ?At the time, there was nothing to suggest the level of offending now being reported on a national scale.

?The Force accepts more could have been done to encourage victims to support action. We have apologised.?

Recommended by Outbrain [?]

19 comments

To leave a comment, you need to login via Facebook by clicking the button below

Sort: Newest
Oldest
Most Popular
Most Active

Name withheld

12:54 PM on 20/1/2013

This comment was left by a user who has been blocked by our staff.

Name withheld

12:41 PM on 20/1/2013

Name withheld

8:39 AM on 18/1/2013

Name withheld

7:39 AM on 14/1/2013

Name withheld

10:48 AM on 13/1/2013

Report Abuse

Boojum Snark

7:01 PM on 12/1/2013

His body should be removed from Woodlands immediately, cremated and dumped at a secret location known only to his family. (Similar to the body of Adam Lanza, perpetrator of the Sandy Hook Elementary School Killings)
 This location should not be allowed to be within the jurisdictions of Scarborough/Leeds/Stoke Mandeville/London/Sussex/Surrey/Jersey/ Glencoe/any of his victims.)
 He definitely should not be overlooking 5 of Scarborough's Schools - Graham (my school!), Raincliffe, Woodlands (which is special needs), St Augustine's, VI Form (also mine!) and the Hospital!!!

I recently attended the cremation of a family relative at Woodlands, but I would not allow her to rest there while HE is there. She will be scattered and allowed to rest in piece elsewhere.

-------------------------------------------------

The council are considering stripping him of his titles, but what of "2. Savile & Others" & "3. Others"?
 JC has been named, PJ associated (also a governor of Graham School)

I almost had the opportunity of killing Savile as I drove up Filey Road in the early 90's. I spotted JS (pink/yellow shell-suit) & JC running south down the eastern pavement past St Margaret's Roundabout (as was), but suddenly JS bolted out between parked cars & I had to slam on the brakes. If only I'd have known then......
 I apologise to any Scarborian victims since Oct 1991, for your torment. If only I'd known then what I know now - I wouldn't have braked...

The name SAVILE needs to be removed from the annals of Scarborian History. ASAP!

Report Abuse

Tracey Smith

6:32 PM on 12/1/2013

Can the press and media please stop printing and showing pictures of this odious former person..they are always grinning pictures and the one printed in The Mirror of him in a pair of shorts was very distasteful

Report Abuse

Dennis Redfearn

4:47 PM on 12/1/2013

No Wonder He got Away with it So Long Having the OFFICIALS Backing Him .i can well imagine this goes all the way up to MPs ,still serving and still covering it up ,This Needs to have NO Let Up Every Source Scrutinized Thouroghly and Bring To Justice All those Guilty of such CRIMES
 Including Those who Helped Cover it up Before or After the Crimes

Report Abuse

Debs Samways

3:47 PM on 12/1/2013

i also wish stories in the papers about him didnt have to have his photographs along side ... it just makes me cringe n shudder to think what he has done to those poor kids and pics of him smirking just about makes me want to hurl.. plz stop showing his pic. i dont think im the only one who thinks this either

Report Abuse

Debs Samways

3:44 PM on 12/1/2013

if this is found to be true then the serving officers need to be diciplined and sacked and then meet up with the former officers in a court of law and explain why they did this . this is disgusting. the police are there to serve and protect all >>NOT to protect a bleeding peadophile no matter how famous he is. that slim ball has always given me the creeps

Recently Published

Unbelievable: No record of Jimmy Savile sex abuse claims held by police force

But senior officer admits he was aware of scores of complaints about the disgraced BBC star
 Why wasn't he caught? Investigator who nailed Jimmy Savile attacks prosecutors
Jimmy Savile: World famous hospital wipes out memory of evil paedophile

Previous Articles

"He groomed the nation": Jimmy Savile was UK's most prolific paedophile, police report reveals

He struck at the BBC where he worked, in hospitals and hospices, schools and on the road ? making him Britain?s worst sexual offender.
 Jimmy Savile: Sex beast's abuse covered length and breadth of the UK - infographic

Related Tags

In the news Jimmy Savile child abuse People Prince Charles, Prince of Wales Edward Heath Margaret Thatcher Sir Jimmy Savile
Organisations West Yorkshire Police Surrey Police See Also Hospitals Royal Family Crime

Ads by Google

Over 65 Funeral Plans
 Download Our Free Brochure About Saving In Advance For Your Funeral
 www.GoldenCharter.co.uk

Watch Full Episodes
 Turn Your Computer into a TV! Watch Full TV Episodes w Free App
 www.TelevisionFanatic.com

Compare Pension Annuities
 Increase your Retirement Income- Compare Rates & Get Up to 40% More!
 www.Compare-Annuity.com

Holiday Let Cottages
 Most Cottage Owners Have More Than 30 Bookings This Year, Many Over 40
 SykesCottages.co.uk/Holiday-Let

See more stories you'll love

Stories shown below are those we think you'll like based on what you've read before. Improve what we show you by logging in with Facebook.

Recommended in News Why?

Jimmy Savile child abuse

BBC boss "moved aside" after Jimmy Savile scandal in line for new role

Sir Jimmy Savile

"Rather inappropriate, yes?": Uproar as BBC screen The Tweenies repeat featuring character dressed as sex beast Jimmy Savile

NHS

Criminal failure: Hospitals took THREE years to do safety checks on NHS doctors and nurses

David Cameron

Loads of room to talk! Bedroom tax Tory Lord Freud lives in eight-bedroom country mansion

Greater Manchester Police

Gareth Francis: Off-duty police officer killed on way home from night out

Twitter

Weird world of Weibo: Chinese version of Twitter can see tweets take a week to get past the censors

Trussell Trust

Starving children surviving on just a jam sandwich a day: New scandal of Food Bank Britain

Weird bodies

Sleeping beauty: Teenager has slumbered through Christmas, birthdays, school exams and even a date

Politics

No faith in our system: UK judges prove they're barking

NHS Trusts

Care path? It's a licence to kill

Most Read in News

Police
Child abuse cops seize VIP list: Politicians, MI5 agent, Royal aide and pop stars all named

Weather
Coldest day for 10 years: Britain braced for big freeze with mercury set to plunge to minus 20?C

Google
A naked man in a car boot, a frisky couple and 'Horseboy': The top 10 weirdest photos

Crime
Assassination attempt on camera: Watch extraordinary footage of man putting gun to politician's head

Trussell Trust
Starving children surviving on just a jam sandwich a day: New scandal of Food Bank Britain

Poker   

Compare the latest poker bonuses

Get top poker tips and sign up online

See more stories you'll love

Stories shown below are those we think you'll like based on what you've read before. Improve what we show you by logging in with Facebook.

Recommended on the Mirror Why?

Sir Jimmy Savile

"Rather inappropriate, yes?": Uproar as BBC screen The Tweenies repeat featuring character dressed as sex beast Jimmy Savile

Greater Manchester Police

Gareth Francis: Off-duty police officer killed on way home from night out

Trussell Trust

email

Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

COMODO SECURE