Letter from Tim Farron on Brexit

• 0 Replies

Offline the leveller

• Global Moderator
  • +75/-0
Letter from Tim Farron on Brexit
« on: April 26, 2017, 07:47:34 PM »
-I've just had this reply from my MP, Jonathan Lord, who sounds delighted!

Sonya
===============================================
To: Sonya
Sent: 26/04/2017 18:57:05 GMT Summer Time
Subj: RE: Letter from Mr T Farron on Brexit

Thank you!  I’ll pass that on to the campaign team.

With best wishes.

Kind regards,

Jonathan Lord

Jonathan Lord MP
Member of Parliament for Woking
House of Commons
London, SW1A 0AA
Tel. 020 7219 6913
[email protected]

Sent: 26 April 2017 16:26
To: LORD, Jonathan <[email protected]>
Subject: Letter from Mr T Farron on Brexit

Hello Mr. Lord

I have just received this from a correspondent of mine (who received it from a relative) and thought that you might be interested in seeing it and perhaps in passing it to the Prime Minister.   Mr Farron is certainly clear in what he says, but it doesn't seem to occur to him that he is supposed to act on the people's wishes.

Might he be called a would-be Dictator?

Regards

Sonya

Date: 26 April 2017 13:55:19 BST

26 April 2017

Dear David

Thank you very much for your recent email with regard to comments l made on the Robert Peston show in relation to the Referendum.

For ease, l have annotated responses at the end of each specific question which l hope answers your relative's questions.

Dear Mr. Farron,

On the Peston Show on the 23rd you said that a referendum should be held on whether or not to accept the terms of any deal that Mrs. May agrees with the European Union, to "allow the people to decide".

As a constituent of yours I would like you to clarify what you have in mind bearing in mind that there two deals involved

(a) the terms on which we leave the organisation

and

(b) the terms of trade between Britain and the EU after we have left

Question 1   Should any such Referendum seek  public approval of both deals, or only one,and if only one, which?

IT WOULD BE UP TO THE GOVERNMENT TO DECIDE, BUT I WOULD FAVOUR A VOTE ON THE TWO DEALS AS A PACKAGE

Question 2   In the event that the referendum rejected the terms of either or both deals, what then?  Would we then leave without either or , or  instead remain?

MY PROPOSAL IS THAT IF WE REJECT THE PACKAGE THEN WE WOULD REMAIN

Question 3  Do you agree that the question(s) in any such referendum would need to do what you did not do on the Peston show, make it clear that rejecting either or both deals would mean remaining in the EU, and that this would in effect be a second referendum on EU membership?

I TRIED TO MAKE IT CLEAR…BUT YES!

Question 4   Do you accept that the prospect of a referendum on those terms would be an incentive to the EU to offer us the worst possible terms in the hope that we would reject them and remain? 

GIVEN THAT THERESA MAY HAS SAID THAT NO DEAL IS BETTER THAN A BAD DEAL (WHICH WOULD ALSO BE BAD FOR EUROPE), THEN NO.  IN ANY EVENT, IT WOULD BE ODD TO CHOOSE TO DENY THE PEOPLE THE FINAL SAY (AND LEAVE IT MERELY IN THE HANDS OF POLITICIANS) ON THE PREMISE THAT THE PEOPLE MIGHT NOT LIKE IT.  THAT'S THE POINT OF LIVING IN A DEMOCRACY.

With best wishes

Yours sincerely

Tim Farron MP

While Tim Farron MP will treat as confidential any personal information that you pass on, he will normally allow staff and authorised volunteers to see it if this is needed to help and advise you. He may pass on all or some of the information to external agencies if this is necessary to help with your case. Messages of an abusive or threatening nature may be passed to Cumbria Constabulary. Tim Farron MP may wish to write to you from time to time to keep you informed on issues which you may find of interest. Please let him know if you do not wish to be contacted for this purpose.

UK Parliament Disclaimer: This e-mail is confidential to the intended recipient. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender and delete it from your system. Any unauthorised use, disclosure, or copying is not permitted. This e-mail has been checked for viruses, but no liability is accepted for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail. This e-mail address is not secure, is not encrypted and should not be used for sensitive data.

Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk