• 1 Replies

Offline the leveller

• Global Moderator
  • +75/-0
PETITIONS YOU MAY WISH TO SIGN
« on: August 30, 2012, 11:52:15 AM »
If you haven't already signed then please do,we want 100,000
http://www.gopetition.com/peti...
Take politics out of the Remembrance Day Parade at the Cenotaph in Whitehall, LondonPublished by Lt Cdr Jeremy Wraith RNR (Retd) The Annual Remembrance Day Parade at the Cenotaph in Whitehall is the main opportunity for the nation to pay its homage and respects to all those from the British Isles and the British Commonwealth who laid down their lives in two great world Wars and other conflicts to preserve our freedom and not be subject to foreign domination and control. It is therefore an insult to the memory of the fallen for the leaders of the Conservative, Labour and Lib Dem parties to officially attend the ceremony===================================================================================================THE FINAL INSPECTIONThe soldier stood and faced God, Which must always come to pass.He hoped his shoes were shining,Just as brightly as his brass.'Step forward now, you soldier,How shall I deal with you ?Have you always turned the other cheek ?To My Church have you been true?'The soldier squared his shoulders and said,'No, Lord, I guess I ain't.Because those of us who carry guns,Can't always be a saint.I've had to work most Sundays,And at times my talk was tough.And sometimes I've been violent,Because the world is awfully rough.But, I never took a penny,That wasn't mine to keep...Though I worked a lot of overtime,When the bills got just too steep.And I never passed a cry for help,Though at times I shook with fear.And sometimes, God, forgive me,I've wept unmanly tears.I know I don't deserve a place,Among the people here.They never wanted me around,Except to calm their fears.If you've a place for me here, Lord,It needn't be so grand.I never expected or had too much,But if you don't, I'll understand.There was a silence all around the throne,Where the saints had often trod.As the soldier waited quietly,For the judgment of his God.'Step forward now, you soldier,You've borne your burdens well.Walk peacefully on Heaven's streets,You've done your time in Hell.
'Author Unknown~Thinking of all theBritish Soldiers

Offline the leveller

• Global Moderator
  • +75/-0
Re: PETITIONS YOU MAY WISH TO SIGN
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 10:41:49 PM »

http://www.ukpoliceonline.co.uk/index.php?/topic/48725-sign-the-epetition/

http://epetitions.di...petitions/32177

Dear Federation colleagues,

Please can you consider circulating the below to officers both within Division and to colleagues from the rest of the Force and beyond. With a little prod and pointing in the right direction, I suspect we can easily reach the 100,000 mark on the below E-petition and give the fed another point of discussion. Our members alone (124,000), not including friends and family should see us sailing past the threshold. Not being aware of the petition, I believe is the main issue here, not a reluctance of officer to sign it. With your help, easily resolved.

I have lost track of the amount of times I have heard this said lately. I go into one of my customary rants regarding the way the government are treating the Police and the damaging effect the changes will have to the public and people?s eyes glaze over. ?why bother?? they ask. ?the government aren?t going to back down.? they say. There are so many people acting like we are wasting our time even bothering. Perhaps the most infuriating thing is the fact that so many of them are those who are young in service. The very people who should still be up for the fight. The people who stand to lose the most if the government force through the proposed changes to our terms and conditions.

A common question is ?what are the fed doing about it?? well, as many know, I don?t make excuses for the Fed, or defend them where it?s not warranted, but the thing is they are doing plenty. They arranged the very successful march in London. 35?000 people marched. The transport and expenses of a large number of these was paid for by the Fed. They have made representations to government. They have sent out program letters to send to MP?s. They have sent open letters and held press conferences and they showed their disapproval at conference.

Our problem is not the Fed. It?s apathy. 35?000 people turned up for the march. Such a huge number. Certainly the majority of off duty officers in the country. As well as many non Police supporters. Families, friends, support staff and just people who dislike the changes being forced through with no mandate by this government. Yet, despite this huge number of people, at the time of writing this, only 18?000 people have signed the Epetition to reject Winsor 2.
 18?000 out of an organisation with 135?000 members. This government must be absolutely over the moon. We are proving them right. They can almost legitimately say that there are135?000 of us yet only 18?000 reject the report! It?s embarrassing. I have yet to speak to a Police officer who approves of the Winsor report. Yet only 13% of our number can be bothered to give up 2 minutes of their time to sign an epetition!

Some federations have circulated the Epetition. But, amazingly, some federations have not even emailed their members asking them to sign. It has not been officially circulated. We are talking about a ballot on the right to strike yet we haven?t even been able to sign an Epetition.

Now I know it is not the best written Epetition. I realise that there are some who may feel that it would be better if there was a better worded version. But the fact is that the website does not allow more than one Epetition supporting the same proposal. Like it or not this is the Epetition that got started. It has 18?000 signatures already attached. It is the closest thing we have. I don?t think for a second that this government will see that we have 100?000 signatures and just decide to scrap the whole thing. That will not happen.
 But, when we get the 100?000 signatures, it will be debated in the commons. This is a weak coalition. We have raised some excellent arguments. If it is debated and just a few people dissent the government will be on the Back foot. At the very least it will get publicity. It will show the strength of feeling. It will keep the momentum. We will be able to say to the public when we ballot to strike that we tried everything. That the ballot was a last resort.

I think it has got to the point where trusting people to motivate themselves to sign the Epetition has not worked. We all work in stations with strong characters. We all have shift leaders. People who can get things done. We need to be raising this amongst ourselves. Asking our colleagues if they?ve signed. If not we need to be asking them why they are letting their colleagues down. If they disagree and they think Winsor is great then fine. I?d be surprised but everybody is entitled to their opinion. But we need to shake up the apathetic. Furthermore we need to be asking friends, neighbours, family to sign. If they don?t have a computer let them use your smartphone. Have a word with your Fed rep.

We are fighting to save the job. The rank of constable and the future of Policing in this country. Please stop waiting for somebody to take the lead. Be that person. Have a word. Ask colleagues. Give them a push. Be as annoying as me. Let?s get it signed.

Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

COMODO SECURE