• 3 Replies

Offline the leveller

• Global Moderator
  • +75/-0
Wednesday 30 January 2013
Channel 4 News

Bedroom tax? Never heard of it says Tory MP who voted for it

Ciaran JenkinsReporter

Conservative MP Mark Field admits he has not heard of a new bedroom tax which will affect hundreds of thousands of social housing tenants, even though he voted in favour of it.

Responding to a Channel 4 News survey of MPs' views on the policy, Mark Field, who represents the Cities of London and Westminster wrote: "Must confess that I have not heard of this new tax and it has not been raised with me by constituents (as yet)."

The changes are expected to affect around 660,000 social housing tenants from April. They face a reduction in their housing benefit, dubbed the "bedroom tax", because they are deemed to be under-occupying their homes.

Under the reforms, couples and children of the same sex are expected to share a room, as are any two children under 10 regardless of gender.

But Mr Field voted in favour of the policy in February 2012. The policy has attracted criticism because it will apply to tenants with disabilities, foster carers, and many others who believe they have exceptional circumstances and yet fall short of the new criteria.

Read more: The 'bedroom tax' - the key questions

At Prime Minister's Questions, David Cameron was pressed on the issue by Alison Seabeck, the Labour MP for Plymouth, Moor View. She asked: "Is it right that a mother in my constituency may not, because of his government's bedroom tax?be able to offer her son, serving in Her Majesty's armed forces, a home or a bedroom on his return from duty?"

The prime minister said he would look at the case, but said the housing benefit reforms have a "very clear principle at their heart."

"There are many people in private rented accommodation who don't have housing benefit, who cannot afford extra bedrooms, and we have to get control of housing benefit," he said.

"We are now spending as a country ?23bn on housing benefit and we have to get that budget under control."

Maria Brabiner (pictured above) has been told to expect an ?11 per week reduction in her housing benefit. Since her mother passed away she is the sole occupant of a two-bed house in Salford. Her family have lived in the home since it was built in 1978.

"I'm scared of what's going to happen to me," she said. "I'm worried about whether my electric will be cut off, whether my gas will be cut off. It's not a case of won't pay, it's can't pay."

Maria, a former council worker who has been unemployed since 2010, says she is desperately seeking employment in order to make ends meet when her housing benefit is cut. "The sad thing is we're all categorised as shirkers," she said. "I've heard Mr Osborne talk about the unemployed, you know who they are, they've got the bedroom curtains drawn whilst you go out to work. I'm not like that. I'm up every morning at six o'clock. My neighbours will tell you, I go out searching for work."

The government says the under-occupation penalty will help contain expenditure on housing benefit, make better use of current social housing stock, encourage benefits claimants to find work and free up more social housing properties.

So far, of the 76 MPs who have responded to the Channel 4 News survey, not one has replied in support of the "tax".

Liberal Democrat MP John Leech said he had voted against the changes, but accused the Labour party of coining the term bedroom tax in order "to scare people about the consequences of changes to housing benefit entitlements."

Paul Murphy, the Labour MP for Torfaen, said the new penalty would have "incredibly worrying" consequences for some of his constituents.

"I really do not think that David Cameron, George Osborne and Nick Clegg understand the impact of these changes," he said.

"They may seem a small reduction of a few pounds a week, but when someone is already living on the breadline, a sudden reduction in income can have a big impact."
Video:
 Joining Cathy Newman is Steve Webb, the Liberal Democrat minister at the Department for Work and Pensions. .
AV05

'Thousands hit' by bedroom tax

Video:
 One of the country's largest social housing landlords is warning that thousands of tenants will have their benefits cut from April because of a new bedroom tax.
 AV05

« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 11:47:32 PM by the leveller »

Offline the leveller

• Global Moderator
  • +75/-0
Re: THE BEDROOM TAX/ Never heard of it says Tory MP who voted for it
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 09:27:33 PM »

Bedroom Tax ? ministers agree exemption if spare room used to flog shit coffee on the high street
by Tom Pride

(satire - sort of)

Coalition government ministers have agreed to back down on plans to introduce a bedroom tax in cases where a household can prove a spare room is necessary for essential needs such as making billions from flogging over-priced coffee to people on the high street or selling millions of books and electronic goods on-line.

The news of the exemption comes after the government's reform of the tax system was widely branded unfair when it was revealed it would hit the most vulnerable households - such as international high street coffee chains and multibillion online retail companies - the hardest.

A spokesperson for the government explained the reasons for the change of heart:

We recognise that it would be wrong to penalise cases of real hardship where spare rooms are being used for essential things such as making billions from selling people rubbish coffee.

That's why we've decided to let the hardest hit members of society - such as Starbucks and Amazon - get away with paying next to no tax at all while making sure families who insist on being poor and people who recklessly decide to care for a disabled relative at home finally start to pay their fair share of the tax burden.

Related articles by Tom Pride:

Foster parents will have to pay bedroom tax but not parents of pupils at Eton

Cameron is the first PM to pocket private rent while living at number 10

Massive Solar Storm Causes 14% Jump in Homelessness

Cameron tells unemployed ? ?Stop whinging and get daddy to find you a job!?

Please feel free to comment ? you don?t need to register and I?m extremely minimal with the moderating ? so please go ahead.

By the way, if you click on any of these buttons below, you?ll be doing me a favour by sharing this article with other people. Thanks:

Offline the leveller

• Global Moderator
  • +75/-0
Re: THE BEDROOM TAX/ Never heard of it says Tory MP who voted for it
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 10:18:10 PM »

Bedroom tax exemptions? Not for injured soldiers, disabled children or adults with carers
by Tom Pride

(not satire - it's the UK today!)

The exemptions announced today by the government will not cover most of the people hardest hit by its cruel bedroom tax.

They won't cover injured ex-military personnel such as Cody Lachey, 29, who served once in Bosnia and twice in Afghanistan before injury forced him to retire and who may be forced to live on the streets by the bedroom tax.

It won't cover people like Janet Bell - who has had a disability lift installed where there used to be a spare room and now has to pay the tax or move.

It won't cover people like Fiona Oxley-Goody - mother of her severely disabled son Logan - who will have to find ?60 extra a month or move from their specially adapted home.

And it won't cover couples like Jayson Lowery and his wife Charlotte -  who have been told they have to pay ?12 a week more or move because Charlotte's special bed and medical equipment mean they have to use a spare bedroom.

The fact is that the bedroom tax will still be affecting over 700,000 people - the majority of whom are disabled.

If you want to join the protests against the bedroom tax planned for this Saturday 16th March - have a look if there's one near you:

Join the protests against the ?Bedroom Tax?

Please feel free to comment ? you don?t need to register and I?m extremely minimal with the moderating ? so please go ahead.

By the way, if you click on any of these buttons below, you?ll be doing me a favour by sharing this article with other people. Thanks:

Tom Pride | March 12, 2013 at 7:16 pm | Tags: Coalition, disability, housing, human rights, unemployment | Categories: hopeless naivety | URL: http://wp.me/p1U04a-471

Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

COMODO SECURE