Britain "a Beacon of Light for Swexit.Swedish MEP praises Britain

• 0 Replies

Offline the leveller

• Global Moderator
  • +75/-0
Swedish MEP Peter Lundgren has praised Britain for becoming a "beacon of light" to Eurosceptics across the continent.
Mr Lundgren is a member of the right-wing populist party Swedish Democrats which has experienced a surge in the opinion polls ahead of the country's September elections.
The Swedish Democrats have pledged to hold a referendum on the country's membership of the European Union.
Speaking on Sky News ahead of the European Council summit, Mr Lundgren said the EU needs to "back down" from this hostile approach.
Related articles

EU needs REALITY CHECK over ridiculous Brexit bill, Swedish MEP says

Eurosceptic party is making Swedish Government 'obsolete' – journalist
He claimed the EU was mistaken to think of itself as a "big market" and revealed he wanted Sweden to "follow the example of the UK".
The Swedish Democrats are the main rivals to the ruling Social Democratic Party, after the traditional opposition party Moderates.
The party's rise mirrors similar gains for other right-wing populist parties across Europe including Italy, France, Germany, Poland, Hungary, Slovenia and Austria.
Mr Lundgren praised Britain for its brave decision two years ago, adding: "I do want Sweden to leave the EU.
"From the beginning, people said it’s not possible to leave the EU.
"But, as in any club, it’s is possible to leave if you don’t like it anymore. The Brits have now become the beacon of light for us critics of Brussels.

GETTY
Lundgren has praised Britain for becoming a "beacon of light" to Eurosceptics
The Brits have now become the beacon of light for us critics of Brussels
Peter Lundgren
"I don’t like my country to be dictated by Brussels, or that my country’s laws are worth less than European laws.
"I would like to follow the example of the UK. Together the UK and Sweden could be very successful.
"I see great opportunity in being outside the union as well."
Mr Lundgren said Britain was sensible to try and secure trade outside the EU, since the EU on its own "is not a very big market".
He added that the UK is a big economy and the EU would be causing self-inflicted pain if they force the UK to crash out without a deal.

GETTY
Jimmie Åkesson is the leader of the Swedish Democrats
Swedish MEP also hit out at the EU's tactics, saying: "It is a power game where the EU want to show their power against the Brits, who actually had the nerve to vote themselves out of this operation.
"They have to back down, they need to find a solution that is good for both sides here.
"Let’s face it, at the beginning the union was a trade body that allowed people to travel in an easy way. That is the basic idea we should stick to here.
"It is Britain’s responsibility how they handle their borders and how to deal with the situation.
"When the UK is no longer a member of the EU, it cannot be up to Brussels to dictate what is acceptable to do.
"The EU should stay focused on trade."
Related articles

EU will COLLAPSE if it punishes UK for Brexit, Swedish MEP blasts

EU signing own DEATH WARRANT with constant 'Brexit meddling' – MEP

Swedish MP wants to EMIGRATE to Hungary to escape immigration
Brexit News
Sweden
Recommended stories

Farage's HILARIOUS reaction to Ken Clarke claiming people

Med-fly
(Sponsored - P&O Cruises )

'They've been absolutely DISGRACEFUL' Brexiteer rages at EU for behaviour in negotiations

Pensioners Go Crazy For New Totally Automatic Hearing Aids
(Sponsored - Compare Hearing Aids)

Merkel COLLAPSE threat: ‘No pity’ from EU if German leader falls in migrant crisis row

This Is How Savvy Brits Are Dodging Ridiculous Funeral Costs
(Sponsored - Experts In Money Insurance)

'We don't have time' Dutch PM rebukes claim EU is being 'too rigid' over Brexit demands

WWII Pics: There's Good Reason You Didn't See These Photos
(Sponsored - HorizonTimes)

'French arrogance no longer in fashion!' Salvini's BRUTAL dig at Macron after Pope meeting

Homeowners Born Before 1987 Could Be Refunded £1000s
(Sponsored - Compensation Helpdesk)

Emmerdale spoilers: Chas and Paddy baby tragedy to give Sarah Dingle HUGE breakthrough

People Who Had Debenhams Store Cards - Read This
(Sponsored - MyBankClaim)
Recommended by

Popular In the Community

Sponsored

'Let us LEAVE!' – BBC Question Time audience member gives PASSIONATE speech to Clive Lewis

obbs
3h
Ultimately the MP's want to do what they want and not what the people voted for.
Top EU boss HITS BACK at Theresa May for 'unhelpful' comments made at EU summit

Askerton
2h
I dont know exactly who these Irish think they are ?
Donald Trump could QUIT NATO: New documents put doubt on US commitment to defence alliance

JonO
5h
The EU can't expect to be able to impose tariffs on American goods and also expect that the USA citizens to pay for the defence of the EU out of American pockets. This is typical of the way that the EU works. Trump is right. The EU impose tariffs on all imports from the World yet expects no reciprocal taxes . The EU is the new version of the Iron Curtain where it deals in an ever shrinking market.
Theresa May DEMANDS ‘acceleration’ of Brexit talks as EU negotiations deadline nears

PhilipMurphy
3h
These marathon discussions were not Brexit related of course. They were about the migration crisis and a path forward at EU level has been agreed. If only the UK cabinet could agree what sort of Brexit it wants in only 9 hours, or days or weeks or even months!
Britain ‘knew 9/11 terror detainees were mistreated’

DeathtotheEU
8h
Yet again go after the people that put their life on the line for this country, yet roll out the red carpet for those that hate us. Only one person should be in the stand and that is Bliar.
Ex-defence chief blasts Theresa May for 'DELUDING' the public over military defence budget

jullianne23
2d
The recent warmongering by Williamson and Johnson is so alienating I no longe support defence spending. Most of it is wasted anyhow and if we do not have the stuff to fight with maybe we wil stop going off to fight pointless battles and either killing our own young men or poor people in far off places by using drones with no threat to ourselves. There are no just wars anymore. The whole business is a rotten stinking cesspool and we would be better off out of it.
Kate Middleton SHOCK news: Duchess Kate to get incredible title when Charles becomes King

SGS
3d
Typical Express saying this is SHOCK news. What's shocking about it? The eldest son of the monarch is usually made Prince of Wales like Charles was in Caernarvon in the 70s, and his wife (Kate) will automatically become Catherine, Princess of Wales. I see no problem with this at all.
World War 3: Former US army chief's SHOCK warning about Russian WAR threat in the west

WilliamTaylor3
12h
He says Germany might not go to the aid of a Baltic country if Russia attacks, well I wouldn't want the UK to go to the aid of Germany if they were attacked or any other eu country, WHY, (GALILEO) 40 billions that we don't owe, they consider us a security risk, hence their decision on Galileo, so be it,we shouldn't defend them.
Juncker TEARS into May's cabinet split as he issues STERN Brexit warning to UK

BritishandProud969
16h
I am not optimistic about this deal. I feel a rotten May inspired capitulation on everything is coming. After all she has given up everything thus far to the EU. The only small hope is that the few brexiteers in the cabinet will kick up such a stink she will at least fight for a face saving Brexit. At the moment our country is a complete laughing stock.
HS2 set to be operated by CHINESE firm as UK rail companies in turmoil

Backfire
23h
The HS2 folly will get worse and worse. Should have spent the money on something else that would benefit the whole nation..
EU SUMMIT LIVE: 'We'll act AT PACE' May demands PRIVATE talks with Franco-German power duo

LionelBee
23h
But it is the EU that is prevaricating and stonewalling not us!
World Cup: England’s high-flyers down to earth with a bump

Całıco Jack
1h
Getting a bit desperate, are we?
Why Meghan Markle always wears pink - experts reveal surprising reason

SpocksBeard
46m
The Queen wears bright colours so those who come to see her can spot her easily.I dont care what Meghan wears.
'They've been absolutely DISGRACEFUL' Brexiteer rages at EU for behaviour in negotiations

OhJeremy
21h
Barney is the chief brick wall, putting the Irish border before trade has made negotiation impossible. If a trade arrangement had been agreed first then we wouldn't even need to talk about the border problem.
Italy's holiday CRACKDOWN: Unruly tourists face HUGE fines in top Riviera hotspots

RightPower
11h
This is not a prevention against tourism or a decree we dislike them, it is simply saying if you act disorderly you will be fined. Seems fair to me.

Most read in World

Bali volcano eruption update LIVE: Mt Agung ERUPTS - flights cancelled over HUGE ash cloud

Hawaii volcano eruption: Striking aerial pictures show Kilauea’s smoking lava flow

EU Summit: Leaders FINALLY reach agreement on migration after overnight ‘marathon’ talks

Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk