• 0 Replies

Offline the leveller

• Global Moderator
  • +75/-0
Brexit at Noon. In defence of the Realm
« on: September 12, 2017, 08:24:26 PM »
Brexit at Noon
The Freedom Association's Better Off Out campaign's daily update

Yesterday saw the much anticipated vote on the Second Reading of the European Union (Withdrawal) Bill. Thankfully for the government, it won with a majority of 36. Some of the highlights included speeches from Suella Fernandes, who emphasised how the EU has robbed the UK of its sovereignty, freedom and independence, and Stephen Kerr, newly elected Conservative MP for Stirling, who detailed the opportunities that Brexit will give in strengthening the union between Scotland and the rest of the UK.

Both these MPs - and others - rose in support of the bill on democratic terms. Notwithstanding this, I did like Mr Kerr's speech for the measured delivery and principled approach and also for how he cut right to the chase. A vote against the bill, he said, would be "an attempt to set aside the result of the referendum and a base disrespect to the British people—it is as uncomplicated as that." Clear talking in the House of Commons? Never...

As for this morning, there seems to be yet more Labour Party wranglings over how they might oppose - or wreck - the bill at its forthcoming Committee Stages. I understand from The Telegraph that the party has outlined a series of broad amendments which it hopes will be enough to persuade disaffected Tories who have expressed reservations about the Bill to rebel. I hear rumours that they may be joined by 12 or so Conservatives in the division lobbies if the 'necessary' changes aren't made to the bill.

What we did see though this morning is a new government paper that looks to create a "deep security partnership" between the UK and the EU. Announced with a headline "'This isn't blackmail': Fallon outlines post-Brexit defence plans" by the FT, I'm unsurprised that the UK's position might be seen by the 'Pink Paper' as attempted blackmail whilst, when the EU does the same on its strongest cards, it's seen as fair and/or wise. Nonetheless, there are concerns about this government position paper. Why, for instance, should British troops be committed to EU overseas missions? Of course, there could be a very good reason. However, if the UK isn't prepared to become involved in a conflict and/or mission, why should we send our armed personnel to do so under the umbrella of what is effectively a foreign power? I see other groups, such as Veterans for Britain, have also raised similar concerns. One thing is for certain, however: we as a country should not surrender to the EU by giving away control of our military.  

If you want to help push forward to positive reasons why we voted to Leave - and the benefits of Brexit - please donate to Better Off Out and our Stop Blair Campaign to help keep up the campaign for Brexit. 
Rory Broomfield
Director of The Freedom Association and Better Off Out campaign 

Articles of the Day 

Brexit: EU repeal bill wins first Commons vote - BBC
Labour plots fresh Brexit rebellion minutes after losing key Repeal Bill vote - Telegraph
UK to offer EU deals on foreign policy and joint military operations - Guardian
UK seeks 'deep security partnership' with EU after Brexit - Sky
Tony Blair’s incredulous immigration journey is hypocritical and insincere - Steven Woolfe in BrexitCentral

'Stop Blair Campaign' 

Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk