email

FOI RE TACTICAL GLOVES BY ALBERT BURGESS

• 0 Replies

Offline the leveller

• Global Moderator
  • +75/-0
FOI RE TACTICAL GLOVES BY ALBERT BURGESS
« on: April 25, 2019, 09:23:10 AM »
If we want to live in a free country we must watch government and particularly government run agencies like the police
The freedom of information officer                                                                                       Albert Burgess
New Scotland Yard
Victoria Embankment
London
SW1A 2JL
24th April 2019
Ref Tactical gloves
Freedom of information request
Legality
In the United Kingdom, weighted knuckle gloves are legal to buy, sell and own. Possession in a public place would depend on a number of factors. Section 1 Prevention of Crime Act 1953 creates the offence of possession of an offensive weapon in a public place without "lawful authority or reasonable excuse".[6] An offensive weapon is defined in this section as "any article made or adapted for use for causing injury to the person, or intended by the person having it with him for such use by him or by some other person". Weighted-gloves are not an offensive item per se. Therefore, it would depend on whether the possessor is carrying the item with the intention of using it as an offensive weapon (against a person - intention for use against an animal is not an offence). Consideration would also be given to whether the gloves are sold and marketed as a self-defence tool, or whether they are simply designed as something more rigid than normal gloves to protect the hands. The defence to this section is made on the balance of probabilities (civil burden of proof) that the possessor had "lawful authority or reasonable excuse".[7] The CPS website states: "The courts have been reluctant to find many weapons as falling within the first limb of the definition and reliance should usually be placed upon the second. On that basis, it must be shown that the defendant intended to use the article for causing injury".
I believe that in the case of a constable policing a demonstration or a march wearing Tactical Gloves on the balance of probabilitites the constable is wearing then intending to use them to strike some one with them. No reasonable person and using the principle of the Wednesbury rule would believe he needed them to keep his hands warm. They would using the Wednesbury rule as an appropriate guide believe the constable was wearing them to hit a demonstrator with. This strictly in accordance with the law governing offensive weapons make the Tactical Glove an intended offensive weapon and therefore illegal and any reasonable person using the wednesbury rule would see no difference between the police officer breaking the law and Joe Bloggs breaking the law. Any reasonable person using the civil burden of proof would attach guilt to the constable. Any reasonable person again using the Wednesbury rule of reasonableness would require the law to be upheld and the constable and Joe Bloggs should both be subject to arrest. I submitted a freedom of information request to Cressida Dick on this matter copy enclosed on the 6th April 2019 as yet I have received no acknowledgment ignoring my letter does not remove your duty to answer my freedom of information request. I include your reasons for not replying in this freedom of information request.
(1) Are tactical gloves standard issue to your officers?
(2) If they are standard issue why is it considered necessary to issue them full grounds please?
(3) If tactical gloves are not police issue but a personnel purchase by the officer why are these officers not arrested and charged with possession of an intended offensive weapon contrary to the Prevention of Crime Act 1953 SEC 1/1?
(4) If a constable on duty draws his truncheon without reasonable excuse whilst policing a peaceful event, he is in possession of an offensive weapon (this is a weapon of last resort) why is he not arrested under the above act?
(5) Why have I received no acknowledgment to my FOI of the 6th April 2019?
Respectfully submitted
Albert Burgess
Cc Cressida Dick

email

Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

COMODO SECURE